From: Dee Dee J <doublejd@bellsouth.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 27, 2001 at 22:38:29
Subject: Setting up math groups

In the typical elementary classroom, the classroom teacher teaches reading
using reading groups based on the students reading level.  What about
math?  I would like to set up 2 math groups, 1 high and 1 low, and target
the concepts that they are struggling with or challenge the students who
need it.  I know the needs of my students but I'm not sure how to set up
these groups.  Do I teach whole group then pull the lower group aside and
drill them some more or do I teach 2 separate lessons?  What about the
students who finish early. Do I send them to math centers?  What about the
lower students, will they ever be able to attend math centers because they
are still working on their seat work?  HELP!!!!

Thank you,

Dee Dee J.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/