From: Dee Dee J <doublejd@bellsouth.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 27, 2001 at 22:38:29
Subject: Setting up math groups

In the typical elementary classroom, the classroom teacher teaches reading using reading groups based on the students reading level. What about math? I would like to set up 2 math groups, 1 high and 1 low, and target the concepts that they are struggling with or challenge the students who need it. I know the needs of my students but I'm not sure how to set up these groups. Do I teach whole group then pull the lower group aside and drill them some more or do I teach 2 separate lessons? What about the students who finish early. Do I send them to math centers? What about the lower students, will they ever be able to attend math centers because they are still working on their seat work? HELP!!!! Thank you, Dee Dee J.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/