From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 18, 1998 at 16:47:23
Subject: Re: Flatland in honors geometry

Steve, The first thing I do is have one of the English faculty come in and share information on writings in the time period Flatland was written. This is because Flatland is a satire and it is important for the female students not to be offended by the "woman-bashing" that goes on the in the text. Secondly, I have students discuss various aspects of the book. I give a test to make sure they have read the material. Then they create their own project. I have had students write computer programs that exhibit what it is like to "walk" in a 2-dimensional world. I have had students do the art work of Flatland, like what would "The Last Supper" look like? One project was a newspaper that a group of students thought would be one like they would have had in Flatland. Another created a table with magnetic pieces to move to illustrate what a several views might be of Flatland. I have had students get involved and do research in dimensions of other sizes! There is NO limit to what students can do! Enjoy! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/