From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 18, 1998 at 16:47:23
Subject: Re: Flatland in honors geometry

Steve,

The first thing I do is have one of the English faculty come in and share
information on writings in the time period Flatland was written. This is
because Flatland is a satire and it is important for the female students not
to be offended by the "woman-bashing" that goes on the in the text.

Secondly, I have students discuss various aspects of the book. I give a test
to make sure they have read the material. Then they create their own project.
I have had students write computer programs that exhibit what it is like to
"walk" in a 2-dimensional world. I have had students do the art work of
Flatland, like what would "The Last Supper" look like?  One project was a
newspaper that a group of students thought would be one like they would have
had in Flatland. Another created a table with magnetic pieces to move to
illustrate what a several views might be of Flatland. I have had students get
involved and do research in dimensions of other sizes! There is NO limit to
what students can do!

Enjoy!

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/