From: Suzanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 14, 1998 at 18:02:23
Subject: Re: Coaching math team

Michele,

You might want to think of this year as a learning experience. Do you know
what competition you will be involved with -- MathCounts, Math Olympiads,
or...? It would be very helpful to find out what area schools might also be
participating and talk with the sponsors there.

Coaching a math team can be a lot of fun, but it is also a lot of work. The
grade level that you work with makes a difference too. At our school we have
MathCounts for our eighth graders. It is hard to find practice times because
the students that want to participate are in many activities. The fifth
graders do Math Olympiads and we meet weekly after school for 45 minutes. We
split our time between math games and practicing problems from old contests.
It seems to work well with the younger students to meet on a regular basis as
they are not yet involved in other activities.

It is important to incorporate the games and more fun kinds of things to keep
them motivated.

You can benefit most from other teachers in your area who do this type of
activity.

 -Suzanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/