Q&A #801

A homeschooled child in my class

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 16, 1998 at 19:01:14
Subject: Re: A homeschooled child in my class

Kimberley, I am assuming (and we all know how dangerous THAT can be) that this student must be in a grade lower than 3rd. Here is what I do with those students in my fifth grade class who have "mastered" what I am currently teaching. I give a quick pretest on the topic every day, and use it to do a quick sort of the class into the "got it already" group, and the "need a bit more or a lot more practice" group. I have an enrichment sheet on the same topic, or an activity to be done with a partner independently in the back of the room. They must not only complete the sheet, but be ready to teach it to someone else (me, or another student from the "need" group who demonstrates I misplaced them somewhere during the time we are working). If those "advanced" students finish early, there are a variety of math related activities for them to explore, including pattern blocks and power blocks, calculators, and computers. This is just one strategy, mind you, probably not the only answer, maybe not even the best answer, but it works for me; they feel challenged, and I feel that I am reaching out to more than one group. The down side is that the "got it" group doesn't get as much direct instruction, but they probably don't need as much, either. The good news is that most everyone in that group finds themselves in the "need" group at some point or another, and sometimes the "need"y ones find themselves in the independent group. I have the needed documentation of the students' mastery of the material. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®