Q&A #809

Adding with decimals

View entire discussion

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 17, 1998 at 17:05:05
Subject: Re: Adding with decimals

Hi, Mel, There isn't much fun in teaching decimals to 9th-10th graders. They have seen much of it before but rarely has it really worked well. Money is an area in which they are interested. Today I purchased gasoline where I used a credit card and pumped it myself. I received a printout which had the price given as a decimal as well as the number of gallons (to three decimal places. Knowing the odometer reading since my last fill up I was able to determine my miles per gallon. Any place that charges sales tax provides an opportunity to work on decimals as well. Hang in there. Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®