From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 22, 1998 at 16:38:43
Subject: Re: Arithmetic struggles

Marielouise had some great suggestions for you. I will add my two cents
worth. Have you had your son look at a table of multiplication facts to
find patterns? I mean the kind of chart or table we used to fill in (and
still do, actually!) with the numbers 0 - 10 written across the top and down
the side. Then you locate a specific cell by finding the two factors and
following them down and across to find the one spot they have in common.

Anyway, that is a good place to start, to help your son gain some confidence.
The table is full of patterns.  He should notice readily that there are quite
a few ways to "get" some of the amounts, like 12 and 24, but only one way to
get others, like 56. He may also notice that there is an odd - even pattern
in come of the rows and columns, and that the rows and columns resemble one
another.

Once he notices there is rhyme and reason to the facts, it will all go better
for him.  At that point, you can help him "discover" that the sixes facts are
twice as large as the threes, and the fours, eights and twos have a
relationship too, as do the threes and the nines, and the fives and the
tens. :-)  Hope this is helpful.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question