Q&A #841

Mathematics and anxiety

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 02, 1998 at 22:44:30
Subject: Re: Mathematics and anxiety

I have been trying to locate info on my thesis. Guess you would have to check
with University of New Orleans if you wanted all the details. I specifically
tested the effects of an Historical Novel of Mathematics on Attitudes of High
School Girls. I did use Cecil McBride's dissertation (graduate Texas A&M) on
"The Effects of History of Mathematics on Attitudes Toward Mathematics of
College Algebra Students."

Anyway, in my study, we had students read a novel of math history, fairly
bland material on math careers and we also had a control group. The study
showed that the students who were in the novel classes, ended up with a
better attitude toward mathematics!

Hope this helps!

 -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®