From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 02, 1998 at 22:44:30
Subject: Re: Mathematics and anxiety

Jade, I have been trying to locate info on my thesis. Guess you would have to check with University of New Orleans if you wanted all the details. I specifically tested the effects of an Historical Novel of Mathematics on Attitudes of High School Girls. I did use Cecil McBride's dissertation (graduate Texas A&M) on "The Effects of History of Mathematics on Attitudes Toward Mathematics of College Algebra Students." Anyway, in my study, we had students read a novel of math history, fairly bland material on math careers and we also had a control group. The study showed that the students who were in the novel classes, ended up with a better attitude toward mathematics! Hope this helps! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/