From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 02, 1998 at 22:00:44
Subject: Re: Algebra Texbooks

I am not familiar with the Houghton Mifflin text that you have been given. However, I am familiar with the University of Chicago materials. The book following Transitional Math is Algebra I. I have taught from the earlier version of this book. The best part of the book is the reading/explanation. For a student doing the material on his own or with you, it is a good way to go. The student is already in the mental mode of teaching that this text developes of reading, trying out the exercises, applying the mathematics and reviewing on a constant basis. At times, the exercises are not difficult enough for very talented students but the material being discussed is. You can contact UCSMP at 5835 S. Kimbark Ave., Chicago IL 60637 (773)702-1130 or, email: uscmp@uchicago.edu The algebra I text is published by Scott Foresman. Scott Foresman has merged with Addison Wesley. The only number and address I have is a 1995 one: 1900 East Lake Avenue, Glenview, IL 60025 (800)554-4411. If you or the school is willing to obtain the UCSMP text for you, I would also hand on to the Houghton Mifflin text. Try to find some of the more difficult exercises in the same areas as you are covering in the UCSMP text. Perhaps you can also ask to be put on the UCSMP Newsletter. There is no charge for it. You can ask at the same number and/or email address. I wish you luck. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/