From: Jeanne <jeanne.g.harris@accenture.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: May 16, 2002 at 10:59:54
Subject: Re: MEGSSS vs Algebra/Geometry for Highly Gifted middle schoolers

Joshua, thank you for your advice. I have one follow-up question. My daughter
enjoys the more abstract math, but she has never been particularly good at, or
interested in, the application of math. She is one of those kids who fought
arithmatic, and struggled learning her addition/multiplication tables.  To be
honest, as quickly as she grasps abstract ideas, she must think a bit before
knowing the answer to 4x6. Surely an educated person needs to be able to apply
math as well as understand it. So if I let her take MEGSSS, how do I make sure
she also learns how to get the right answer to math questions, too? The
school's program doesn't cover this at all, as far as I can tell. Should I
send her to Algebra II/Geometry, so she gets more experience in the
application side of things? Or send her to MEGSSS, so she gets to stretch
mentally, and find some other way to supplement their program?  Is there an
online class she could take, perhaps?  Also, do you know where I might find
information about the MEGSSS curriculum?  I had no luck on ERIC or the
Internet, but perhaps I misspelled the program name.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/