From: Jeanne <jeanne.g.harris@accenture.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: May 16, 2002 at 10:59:54
Subject: Re: MEGSSS vs Algebra/Geometry for Highly Gifted middle schoolers

Joshua, thank you for your advice. I have one follow-up question. My daughter enjoys the more abstract math, but she has never been particularly good at, or interested in, the application of math. She is one of those kids who fought arithmatic, and struggled learning her addition/multiplication tables. To be honest, as quickly as she grasps abstract ideas, she must think a bit before knowing the answer to 4x6. Surely an educated person needs to be able to apply math as well as understand it. So if I let her take MEGSSS, how do I make sure she also learns how to get the right answer to math questions, too? The school's program doesn't cover this at all, as far as I can tell. Should I send her to Algebra II/Geometry, so she gets more experience in the application side of things? Or send her to MEGSSS, so she gets to stretch mentally, and find some other way to supplement their program? Is there an online class she could take, perhaps? Also, do you know where I might find information about the MEGSSS curriculum? I had no luck on ERIC or the Internet, but perhaps I misspelled the program name.

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/