From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 30, 2002 at 16:13:42
Subject: Re: Using stories at middle school

>I am doing PhD research on using stories to help teach math in grade
>levels 5-7. I have seen a number of great lists of math-related story
>books, but most are for K-3 grades. Which stories / trade books would be
>applicable to grades 5-7?
>
>Thanks! --Yafa Ginosar

Hello,

I  have discovered that books that are written so that young children can
read them can still be used with older children.  My high school students
enjoy an occasional "storytime in math."  I mainly use the books as an
introduction to concepts or to pose a problem.

Some of the stories I've used is
  "Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar" - factorials, counting, large numbers
  "One Monkey Too Many" - problem solving, combinations/counting
  "How Much is a Million?" - magnitude of numbers, measurement

Hope this helps.

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question