Tangrams have been a popular puzzle with all ages for a long time. A set consists of one small square, one parallelogram, and triangles of three different sizes. All seven pieces can fit together to form a large square.
You can use this applet to help you answer these questions.
- Suppose the small triangle costs 5¢, based on its area. How much would each of the other pieces cost?
- How many of the small triangles would it take to cover the large square?
- What would the value of the complete set be?
- What fraction of the area of the large square is each kind of piece?
- What percent of the total area of the large square is made up of triangles?
Explain how you found your answers.