Intro to Algebra
What's My Attribute?
Next in Line
Objective: Students use attribute blocks to recognize, describe, and extend repeating and growing patterns.
Materials: attribute blocks
- Place number cards 1 - 10 on the floor.
- Begin a pattern under the numbers.
- Select a number.
- Ask a student what shape comes under the number.
- Use other attributes such as color and size.
- Students follow the same procedure in pairs.
Technology Activity: Students will use the applet, Attribute Blocks, from the National Library of Virtual Mathematics Manipulatives. Depending on the availability of computers for your students, this activity could be done individually, with partners, in groups, or as a class.
Have students go to Pretty Patterns
Paper/Pencil Activity: Depending on the level of your students, you can have them complete this activity individually or with assistance. Here are some possibilities:
- Pass out paper with two rows of ten boxes.
- Students make a pattern using the first 10 boxes.
- Exchange papers with a partner to repeat the pattern.
by Stuart J. Murphy (Author), Cynthia Jabar (Illustrator), (HarperTrophy; 1st edition, December 24, 2002)