* (please fill in what i missed) * databases are not sitting on different servers. we need to put them together. whether to use mySQL or other partly depends on the requirement of wiki
2. Rev reported on the modified lobby interface and discussion was held regarding the new interface:
* It was decided that the option to sorty "order by activity" be removed. * It was suggested that the current options to view filtered results can only include "by room" or "by subject" (which means "by topic" is eliminated). View by room can be in table structure whereas view by topic can be in tree structure. * The filters along with options to view are displayed in the same way. It may be better to separate filters with view. * The vocalbulary needs refining: the "apply filters" button can be "apply changes" or change "search rooms by" to "filter rooms by". * Rev will send out modified interface by email. Suggestions can be posted to wiki.
3. Lee showed the template of the Math Forum website, which as the standard view of tabs for different content. May try to put a few screens of VMT lobby into the template to see how it looks.
4. updates from Michael: need more time to respond to our inquiry/request.
* "Last activity" needs better specification. * Discussion was held on what should be considered as last activity in the room, actions on the whiteboard or messages posted in the chat window, or could it be something else? * Two things to consider: what we need to define and technical implementation.
5. Murat presented on summarization tool (see [presentation]). Some points discussed:
* How much scaffold should be provided to the summarization process? * The ability to mark or highlight part of the chat might work better or be easier for user than copy and paste to the whiteboard. Also considered adding icons to the posting. * How do we encourage students to do summarization? o Math Forum experiences: Ask Dr. Math asks leading questions such as what if you try this? what have you already understood? what do you have problem with? etc. PoW? gives models of good ones and provides feedback, which may tell them what they haven't done. o When a group has problem with their work, the members can document on wiki what they have tried, what problem they are having, and where they are stuck. Other gorups can come and look at the information. o Reading a poorly written documentation may encourage others to do a better job at summarizing. * things to consider: pedagogical, motivational, and technical
6. Johann's ideas about the pedagogical role of wiki (see VMT wiki, scroll down to almost the bottom: http://mathforum.org/wiki/VMT?RoomsDev7)
* question raised: what features of mediawiki could encourage fertilizing cross group activities?
7. The question is how to integrate the tree spaces (lobby, chat room and wiki) and make it easy for students to transfer their information.
* what is the rational behind emphasizing certain communication space? o the notion of knowledge building community; promoting reflection; skills of stating and presenting a solution and the argumentation for proof are important for learning math.
8. Summary of things for implementation:
1. create gallery 2. embed wiki in lobby 3. adapt wiki 4. mathML or image 5. copy images 6. single login 7. automate toggle of chat – summary box 8. summarization tab 9. copy summary -> gallery 10. API for information that we want to include or export (lobby, room, and wiki)