The Math Forum VMT Spring Fest 2006 was held in May and June of 2006.
A number of groups participated from the US, Singapore and Scotland.
Each team met online for four hour-long sessions to discuss patterns.
Team B tied for first place, winning iPods for all members.
The topic for the Spring Fest is available at: [topic.doc]
The topic page includes links to three wiki pages that were used by the teams to share their findings: [wiki rows], [wiki patterns], [wiki problem ideas].
A spreadsheet containing a chat log of Team B's sessions is available at: [teamb.xls] or:
The spreadsheet includes a column for you to add comments. The spreadsheet is formatted for printing.
This spreadsheet includes a column for each participant and posting start/stop times. The spreadsheet is formatted for printing (92 pages long).
Other spreadsheets containing the chat log of Team B's sessions can be made by reading-in these html files:
To replay the sessions in real-time, showing the chat, whiteboard and awareness messages:
- Download the session data .jno file to your desktop by clicking here: [teamb.jno]
- Then download the player software: [VMT Player v1 (2006)]
- Then use the player applet to open the teamb.jno file.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact me at Gerry.Stahl@drexel.edu
If you would like to share any analysis you do of this data, please send me a copy and I will link to it below. Please acknowledge the Virtual Math Teams project at the Math Forum in any publication involving this data.
Publications and Analyses of this data:
- A micro-analysis of the reference structure of a 3 minute excerpt from Team B, session 3 (an expanded version of Gerry Stahl's CSCL 2007 paper): [Chapter 26.doc]
- An analysis of the representational practices in the 4-hour chat of Team B (a chapter by Dan Suthers and colleagues for the edited volume on "Studying Virtual Math Teams"): [Chapter 10.doc]
- A talk by Gerry Stahl at a symposium on generalization at the Institute of Cognitive Science, University of Colorado at Boulder -- available at: [PowerPoint slides]
- The original paper by Gerry Stahl at CSCL 2007 -- available at: http://www.cis.drexel.edu/faculty/gerry/pub/cscl07.pdf
- Access to a pre-publication version of "Studying Virtual Math Teams" is available at: http://www.cis.drexel.edu/faculty/gerry/vmt/book/0.html
- [teamb.jno] [teamc.jno] [VMTChat.app]