- E-mail me at: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
- Alternatively, you may also e-mail me at: mailto:Wanda.M.Kunkle@drexel.edu
VMT Project Log
- Research Assistant to Dr. Gerry Stahl; I am also a Ph.D. student in the College of IST.
Fall Term (2003-2004)
Week 1 (22 September 2003)
- Participated in the initial project meeting (24 September 2003)
Week 2 (29 September 2003)
- Met with Steve and Kevin to discuss setting up the following:
- (Note: Steve and Kevin had already completed some of the above tasks and brought me up to speed regarding what had already been done. Steve completed any remaining tasks while we were meeting.)
Week 3 (6 October 2003)
- Contacted Jeremy Johnson (Interim CS Dept. Chair) to inquire about using the department's poster printer to print the VMT Project poster. He responded in the affirmative (directly to Gerry, and copying me), requesting a small fee on behalf of the department for materials.
- Created version one of the project participants' web page, a "bare bones" version consisting of the participants' names and "placeholders" for their pictures and website URLs. Posted the page at:
Week 4 (13 October 2003)
- Sent out a request to project members for their pictures and website URLs (if available)
- Updated project participants' web page:
- Redid the page (using Dreamweaver 4) to make it backwardly compatable with older web browsers
- Inserted all available pictures and URLs
- Posted links on the Wiki to relevant resources such as the Math in Context and NSDL websites
- Contacted HRW (Holt, Rinehart, and Winston) to obtain the name of Drexel's sales rep. and to request a desk copy of the instructor's book containing the activity "Square and Not So Square Numbers"
- Assisted Gerry in uploading files to the vmt website
Week 5 (20 October 2003)
- Added a "Student Pages" (now renamed "Personal Web Pages") category to the project homepage. Created my personal Wiki page and posted a link to it here. Also updated the website links for Kevin and myself on the participants' web page to point to our Wiki pages
- Took a "snapshot" of the project poster to create a jpeg of it that can be readily printed or posted on the Web
- Downloaded the 90-day evaluation copy of the Groove software product and installed it on my laptop for future evaluation
- Made the initial contact with Bud Dowling (per Gerry's request) to arrange to borrow a projector from the CRC for use at Friday's project meeting. Retrieved the projector Friday before the meeting and delivered it to Gerry's office
- Commenced literature search on Design Research. Discovered what appear to be relevant articles in Volume 11 of the Journal of the Learning Sciences. Requested seven of these articles through interlibrary loan on 24 October 2003. (Note: Drexel does not subscribe to the Journal of the Learning Sciences.)
Week 6 (27 October 2003)
- Met with Gerry at 3 p.m. on 28 October 2003
- Established mutually agreeable due dates for the completion of various project tasks
- Updated project log to reflect due dates for the completion of various project tasks
- Updated the website links for Deb, Murat, and Ramon on the participants' web page to point to their Wiki pages
- Contacted Garin Wiggins regarding the invoice for the poster printing. Forwarded the invoice to Gerry and Murat upon receipt
- Attended project meeting at 2 p.m. on 29 October 2003
- Continued with literature search on Design Research.
- Discovered what appear to be three relevant books. Requested these through PALCI/interlibrary loan on 31 October 2003.
- Uploaded current findings so far to the vmt website
- Contacted Tim Siftar (IST contact in Haggerty Library) regarding the possibly of accessing Penn's electronic databases. He responded in a timely fashion - in the "negative."
- Succeeded in obtaining the desired Edelson article, "Design Research: What We Learn When We Engage in Design," through the help of my classmates. :-)
Week 7 (3 November 2003)
- Groove review due on 4 November 2003 -- Largely done, for the time being, anyway (See below.)
- Attended project meeting at 2 p.m. on 5 November 2003
- Continued with literature search on Design Research.
- Requested and/or retrieved the rest of the seemingly relevant readings (8 November 2003).
- Uploaded current findings so far to the vmt website.
- Forwarded info. regarding the above findings to Gerry and M. Atwood (for his information).
- Updated project participants' web page to reflect changes in personal website URLs, pictures, etc.
- Initiated contact with Groove representative regarding Groove's support for tentative VMT project software requirements
- Click on SoftwareRequirements for the VMT project software requirements.
- Click on WilliamsAnswer for the representative's feedback.
- Click on WandasGrooveDemo for her observations.
- Check out Rajini's links (below) for a sample report format: (Note to myself)
- Click on WandasGrooveReport for her report. (Note: I'll be adding a few more things to this.)
Week 8 (10 November 2003)
- Uploading of copies of articles on design research due on 11 November 2003 -- Completed for those readings for which I already have electronic versions (7 Nov. 2003)
Week 9 (17 November 2003)
- Annotated bibliography on design research due on 18 November 2003 -- DONE, for the most part
- Attended project meeting at 2 p.m. on 19 November 2003
Week 10 (24 November 2003)
- Completed log for tape2.mov and e-mailed it to Gerry (28 November 2003)
- Completed and posted 9 summaries for the annotated bibliography (See notation for week 9)
Week 11 (1 December 2003)
Final's Week (8 December 2003)
- Uploaded copies of articles on design research that needed to be scanned in order to be posted (Cobb, Collins)
- Completed and posted three more summaries for the annotated bibliography - 2 Jan. 2004
- Finished reviewing excerpt for transcription from tape2.mov (minutes 11 through 28, inclusive) - 5 Jan. 2004
- Currently reading Preece, et al., text (Interaction Design) in preparation for INFO 610 (Winter 2003-2004 term); have thus far read chapters 1 through 7, inc.
Winter Term (2003-2004)
Week 1 (5 January 2004)
- Attended project meeting @ 1:45 p.m. on 6 January 2004
- Completed online questionnaire for INFO 610
- Read Scardamalia & Bereiter paper for INFO 610
- Started building personal End Note library
Week 2 (12 January 2004)
- Next project meeting scheduled for 12 noon on 14 January 2004
- Participated in INFO 610 week one discussion
Week 3 (19 January 2004)
Week 4 (26 January 2004)