Project: A Study of Erosion
by: Annette Brooks, Linda Connally, Larue Huckaby, Julie Pollard
This is a student Geometry/Erosion study using InterNet. The student will be required to research the history of erosion in a given area, determine the factors involved, contact experts, calculate surface area and volume, make predictions, and invent and demonstrate through models preventitive plans.
The basic steps involved are:
What patterns were discovered while completing the project?
- What type of erosion interests you in your particular geological area?
- Determine the history of the selected erosion.
- What factors are involved? (Wind, rain, etc.)
- Where do you research? (Government, institutions, etc.)
- Predict future erosion over a specified period of time.
- Produce a computerized model to demonstrate the area before and after erosion during this time period. The model should include all calculations showing surface area and the volume of earth eroded.
- Produce a second computerized model to demonstrate the same information as #6 only this time consider a special case of a natural disaster. (flood, hurricane, earthquake, and fire).
- Make plans to prevent future erosion of this type. Consider the following:
What could you do?
What should you do?
Any one using this project should realize the freedom to choose a time span and add or delete from the suggested steps.)
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help