- We have measured the erosion in a 100 yd. sample river. The above sketch is a cross-section of the river basin. The solid line represents the "before" and the dotted line represents the "after" erosion. How much soil has been displaced?
- How do you figure the volume of soil displaced in this river sample?
- How do scientists determine the depth of the bed?
- How do you determine the width of the bed?
- How do you determine the slope of the beds?
- What is another way you could display changes in the river beds? (ie. not a cross-section of the bed)
- How would you expand this simple problem to a real-life situation?
- What length of river bed will you sample?
- How will you handle irregularity of path? (ie. bends, etc.)
- How will you estimate changes in the river bed?
- If the real-life problem will not fit a formula you know, how can you model the river bed and its changes?
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help