Math Forum | Workshops
All Math Forum Workshops
Wednesday, 25 August, 1999
- Welcome and introductions
- In attendance: Walt, Mark, Linda, Jon, Cullen, Mark, Don, Joan, Bob, John, Judy, and Richard.
- Discussion of expectations and needs
- What was the last thing you did on the Internet?
- What would you like to take away from our time together?
- Ask Dr. Math Service
- some of the math questions we asked one another
- Traffic Jam activity
- Internet Mathematics Library
- our annotated catalog of mathematics and mathematics education web sites, featuring hierarchical categories, context-sensitive search engines, and more
- Teacher2Teacher Service
- some threads about the Larson textbooks
- Public Discussions
- a couple lists to participate in
- Cut-the-Knot Interactive Mathematics
- interactive Java applets of math "disguised" as games and puzzles, such as Towers of Hanoi
Thursday, 26 August, 1999
- Lesson Plans for Spreadsheet and Data Analysis
- How to Download Data to Spreadsheets
- For help with creating macros like the ones we found in the City Mileage lesson plan, check out Excel's help file "Record a Macro."
- Sets of Data for Spreadsheet and Data
- As you develop lesson plans around your sets of data, bear in mind our discussion of appropriate decisions and representations of data; and some of the most common mistakes and abuses of statistics, such as the "graph errors" that Paul Cox highlights on his glossary of math mistakes.
- Problem of the Week projects
Friday, 27 August, 1999
- Personal time for bookmarking, researching more data sets, and completing Excel spreadsheet files
- share a valuable web resource with the group
- Math Forum Internet Newsletter
- Save bookmarks, data sets, and other goodies onto your floppy disks
- Practice navigating from the Math Forum home page to the Chichester workshop page
- Reflection, evaluation, and thank yous
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help