Ask Dr. Math®
My Students Can Notice/Wonder, Now What?
1:30 - 3:00 Friday, November 2
Marie Hogan, West Covina, CA
Suzanne Alejandre, Philadelphia, PA
What problem-solving strategies do students already have? How can they develop their mathematical practices? How do they get better at specific strategies? How do they get better at choosing strategies? We'll share ideas and handouts for you to try!
Powerpoint from session:
download PPT: cmcsouth.session324.ppt
download PDF: cmcsouth.session324.pdf
- Notice/Wonder: Sound familiar?
- Overview of this Math Forum strategy.
- The Oracle's Oration - Scenario [pdf].
- CMC-North 2011: Get Your Students Hooked On Noticing and Wondering
- Understanding the Problem: Notice/Wonder
- Adopting Notice/Wonder as a classroom practice
- personal white boards
- bridge to algebra
- Connecting to CCSS: Standards for Mathematical Practice
- 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- 3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Change the Representation
- Brainstorming Representations [pdf]
- Top Notch Nose Contest (problem) [pdf]
- Top Notch Nose Contest (scenario) [pdf]
- Get Unstuck
- I Don't Know What to Do and I Don't Know if I'm Right [pdf]
- Zoo Train (problem) [pdf]
- Zoo Train (scenario) [pdf]
- Make a Table
- What has to be Organized? and Setting the Table [pdf]
- To B or Not to B (problem) [pdf]
- To B or Not to B (scenario) [pdf]
- Use Logical Reasoning
- Must, Can't, Might [pdf]
- Movie Seating (problem) [pdf]
- Movie Seating (scenario) [pdf]
- Scoring Rubrics
- How Submissions Are Scored [HTML]
- Look for the PDF links near the bottom of the page.
- Additional Resources
- Blog: Suzanne at the Math Forum [HTML]
- Annie Fetter: Ever Wonder What They'd Notice? [Ignite! Talk]
- Max Ray: Why 2 > 4: A Proof by Induction [Ignite! Talk]
- How to Start Problem Solving in Your Classroom PDF]
- Problem Solving-It Has to Begin with Noticing and Wondering [PDF]
- Unsilence Students' Voices [PDF]
- Think You Don't Have Time to Use the PoWs? [PDF]
- Writing to Develop Understanding: The Math Forum @ Drexel's PoWs [PDF]
- Free Online Resources at the Math Forum [PDF]
- DrexelNOW article: NSF Awards $2.2 Million to Project Studying Community-Based Professional Development for Math Teachers
- EnCoMPASS: Emerging Communities for Mathematical Practices and Assessment
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help