Part B - K-3
Part B - 4-12
Q & A
Problems of the Week
Ask Dr. Math
Powerful Problem Solving
Gibraltar Area School District
October 4, 2013
Quotes from Gibraltar Area Schools website:
"It is the mission of the Gibraltar Schools, in partnership with families and community members, to strive for excellence in educating each of our children to live responsible, creative, and fulfilling lives in a global society."
"Our staff is committed to supporting the individual growth of each and every student in partnership with our families and community. Through continuous reflection on our teaching practice we strive to improve instruction for all of Gibraltar's children."
"Our collaborative learning community is built on respect for all individuals and personal responsibility for ourselves and others."
On Friday, October 4, 2013, Suzanne Alejandre from the Math Forum @ Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA will present two workshop sessions to the teachers. Part A will be self-directed online activities with peer discussions and Part B (K-3) / Part B (4-12) will be activities and discussions led by Suzanne. At the end of the day all of the participants will reassemble to discuss next steps and to complete the online workshop evaluation.
Learn more about the Math Forum:
- 2012: The Math Forum @ Drexel: 20 Years of Building Online Community to Change Practices, Change Mathematics Education, and Change Lives [HTML]
- About the Math Forum @ Drexel: [PDF]
- Our blogs
- Mastering the Common Core Mathematical Practices Through Problem-Solving Strategies: [PDF]
- How to Start Problem Solving in Your Classroom PDF]
- Problem Solving-It Has to Begin with Noticing and Wondering [PDF]
- Think You Don't Have Time to Use the PoWs? [PDF]
- Writing to Develop Understanding: The Math Forum @ Drexel's PoWs [PDF]
- Our book: Powerful Problem Solving: Activities for Sense-Making with the Mathematical Practices [HTML]
- Our book's companion website: [HTML]