10 March 2K
Professional Development Session
8:30-11:00: Working with The Geometer's Sketchpad
- Review: Can you...?
- construct a non-special quadrilateral, and measure its perimeter; construct and color its interior, and measure the area?
- change and move labels; write a note in a marquee?
- show/hide the equation of line with an action button?
New Geometric Work:
- Illustrate a few common relationships:
- sum of the interior angles of a triangle;
- the Pythagorean Theorem;
- illustrate the Isosceles Triangle relationships-
- congruent sides are opposite equal angles;
- the perpendicular bisector of the base is also the angle bisector of the vertex angle;
- illustrate the diagonal properties of rhombuses
- an inscribed angle is half the measure of a central angle that subtends the same arc
- Use and create scripts
- Other activity ideas from Discovering Geometry
- Graphing Polynomial Equations (degree >1)
- Graphing Other Functions (Sqrt, Abs, Sin, etc.)
What More Do You Want To Know About or Do With GSP?11:00-12:45: The Math Forum
- A Guided Tour for Teachers
- The Lucent-Rutgers Problem of the Week => /lucentpow/
1:30-2:30: Goal Setting and Planning
- Specific Site and Personal Goals, Plans and Timeframes
Sample Personal Goals
- Create and effectively manage an active e-mail account
- Use e-mail at least once a week, within and beyond the grant
- Practice the use of SimCalc and/or Geometer's Sketchpad, especially as it relates to your specific content
- Establish personal internet access
- Practice "mining" the Web for ideas, resources, etc.
- Where possible, integrate aspects of technology into the normal instructional practice (classroom demonstrations, use of a computer lab, including Internet research as an option for student work, etc.)
Sample School Site Goals
- Establish an on-site and a beyond-the-site support system or "buddy" system for tech questions or issues
- Create a MOBILE Computer Station that can be used in the classroom; facilitate its fair use
- Identify a core set of technology-related teacher skills
- Identify a core set of technology-related student skills
Planning for Goal Achievement
- WHO needs to do WHAT by WHEN?
- How can the grant support personnel and resources be helpful?
- Calendarizing the NEXT STEPS