Problem Solving, Session 1
Monday, January 9, 2012
Valerie Klein and Max Ray, The Math Forum @ Drexel
- Buying Cola Scenario -- Notice/Wonder
- We talked about:
- Our goals and why we Notice and Wonder about stories instead of giving problems to be solved.
- Financial literacy: what is the value of eliciting and valuing student concerns about context? (e.g. should we care whether Chuck has cups for the soda?)
- The connection to modeling and problem solving.
- Air Fresheners - Notice/Wonder
- Plan For Next Session
- Now that we've discussed launching problems to gauge students' concerns, current understanding, and engagement, what's next?
- What math could we cover using this scenario? (We'll offer three different levels.)
- What other information would we need to tie this problem together for different goals/levels? How do we focus the math on our goals?
- What are all of the mathematical concepts in the Buying Cola scenario?
- Where else can we find or how can we generate more examples from everyday life (especially consumer/financial topics)?
- Other Handouts
- Noticings/Wonderings Student Handout
- Pizza Scenario Notice/Wonder
- Contact Information
- Max and Val
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.