Supporting Teachers to Implement a School-wide Focus on the Mathematical Practices
4:00 - 5:00, Wednesday, April 25, 2012
Convention Center: Room 103B
Suzanne Alejandre, The Math Forum @ Drexel, Philadelphia, PA
Erin Igo, McCullough Middle School, New Castle, DE
Powerpoint from session:
download zipped file: ncsm2012session360.ppt.zip
- A Little Background from 2010-2011
- I Notice/I Wonder Story
- Flashback: Erin is in the audience of a workshop the Math Forum facilitated for Colonial School District middle school teachers. She is introduced to a Math Forum Problem Solving strategy.
- Pizza Night Story
- Flashback: Suzanne is invited to model the I Notice/I Wonder activity in two 6th grade classrooms.
- Scenario || Problem || Packet || General Scoring Rubric [pdf]
- Student Handout [pdf]
- Listening "for" vs. Listening "to"
- Flashback: During 2010-2011 school year Suzanne and Erin work together in Erin's 6th grade classroom to:
- develop questioning techniques that use students' responses to help inform the next steps of classroom instruction
- maximize each student's "talk time" by using pairs and groups and targeted tasks
- make the most of student accountability by encouraging students to engage in viable arguments and discuss their reasoning with others
- Role Change
- Erin moves from being a classroom teacher to being the McCullough math coach.
- School Year 2011-2012
- Erin in Her New Role as a Coach
- Erin uses what she learned last year with Suzanne.
- Video Sharing
- Before (repeating students' words) vs. After (students do the talking)
- Math Department Meetings (PLCs)
- Parallels with the classroom
- Video sharing
- I Noticed, I Wondered, Now What?
- Get Unstuck [pdf]
- Guess and Check [pdf]
- Organizing Quantities and Relationships [pdf]
- Must, Can't, Might [pdf]
- Next Steps for 2012-2013
- Plans to continue implementing strategies that help teachers help their students develop their practices.
- Our Presentation at NCTM
- NCTM Session 455: Suzanne and Erin
Using Technology Problems of the Week to Develop Mathematical Practices
Friday, April 27, 11:00 - 12:00, Marriott, Salon D
- Math Forum Videos
Videos to prompt problem solving and/or demonstrate Math Forum's strategies in classrooms.
Suzanne's Classroom Videos
Video Clip to Encourage Students' Math Talk: Charlie's Gumballs
Video Clip to Encourage Students' Math Talk: Val's Values
Max Ray: Why 2 > 4: A Proof by Induction
Annie Fetter: Ever Wonder What They'd Notice?
Steve Weimar: Why Did You Do That?
- Math Forum Problem Solving Articles (PDF downloads)
Articles that we have had published about problem solving with students.
Problem Solving–It Has to Begin with Noticing and Wondering
Focus on Student Practice
Writing to Develop Understanding: The Math Forum @ Drexel's PoWs
- Math Forum Blogs
Thoughts, ideas, links, and opportunities to discuss developing students' problem solving and communication practices.
Elementary Mathematical Practices
Problems of the Week Blog (free scenarios posted weekly)
Suzanne at the Math Forum
The Max Ray Blog
- Math Forum Orientation Sessions (free)
Each self-paced, online, asynchronous session includes activities to help teachers learn about the different features of these Math Forum services: Math Tools, Technology PoWs, PoWs
- Making Effective Use of Math Forum Resources
focused on Grades K-2 and 3-5 http://mathforum.org/pd/tour.html
focused on Grades 6-8 and 9-12 http://mathforum.org/pd/tour2.html
- Contact Information
- Suzanne and Erin