Professional Development that Builds
Teachers' Algebraic Reasoning
presented by Cynthia Lanius & Suzanne Alejandre
National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM)
Achieve Success - Come to the Well of Leadership Resources in Atlanta
Tuesday, March 20, 2007, from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm
Oak Room, Omni Hotel (capacity: 100)
Please visit us at the Math Forum table (No. 14) in the display area of NCSM Sponsors.
Attending NCTM? Meet the Math Forum staff in the Exhibit Hall
at Booth 1319, or attend our sessions.
- Online Professional Development
- Is it attractive to teachers?
- Why is the Math Forum developing it?
- What's an effective model?
- NSDL Online Teacher Workshops
- Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
- designed for middle school teachers (note elementary opportunity)
- workshop goal: enable teachers to explore how technology can help students build algebraic reasoning as they model and solve contextualized problems using a variety of representations, including graphs, tables, equations, and words
- workshop design
- workshop fees covered by an NSF grant
- research questions
how to best provide an online math learning community
- within the context of our NSDL library project -- Math Tools, A community library of technology tools, lessons, activities, and support materials for teaching and learning mathematics.
- Let's Do Math
- Runners' graph activity
- Work the problem
- Share observations and questions
- Samples of first week teachers' discussion
- Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software
- Samples of teachers' discussion about the value of the tool
- Runners' tPoW
- Overview of the 6 Week Workshop
- Introductions and Getting Set Up
- Using a Simulation Tool
Using Math Tools
- Rating, Reviewing, Discussing in Math Tools
Technology Problems of the Week (tPoWs)
- Problem Solving
- Accessing Resources for Algebraic Reasoning
- Focus on Algebraic Thinking
- An Invitation to Join Us
- Upcoming Teacher Workshops:
Grades 5-9: http://mathforum.org/nsdl_mathtech/
Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
Teachers will explore how technology can help students build algebraic reasoning as they model and solve contextualized problems using a variety of representations, including graphs, tables, equations, and words.
Grades 3-5: http://mathforum.org/toolsandconcepts/
Tools for Building Math Concepts
This workshop introduces the use of computers to develop understanding in these areas through the exploration of patterns and analysis of data.
- Resources to Browse with Internet Access:
- List of Technology Problems of the Week (free access)
Technology Problems of the Week (tPoWs) are problem-solving challenges modeled on our Problems of the Week that take advantage of interactive mathematics tools such as Java applets, Geometer's Sketchpad, Fathom, or spreadsheets. Students are invited to use the link "Submit your answer" to share their solutions, and then "self-mentor" using specially designed hints, checks, and suggestions for extensions.
- Math Forum Problems of the Week Trial Class Account:
Free 21 day access to Write Math with the Math Forum, the Problems of the Week Library, and the Current Problems of the Week.