Develop Technology Expertise in Mathematics Teacher Leaders: The Math Forum Hybrid Workshop Model
Suzanne Alejandre, The Math Forum
Jason Silverman, School of Education, Drexel University
- Download our presentation slides
- PDF format [2.8 MB]
- We will discuss our recent efforts to catalyze development of a cadre of school-based teacher leaders through online and face-to-face professional development. In particular, we will focus on development of a sequence of online workshops that can be used as resources for professional development in participants' home districts.
We are currently offering two workshops. The $100 workshop fee for each participant is paid by a grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
Technology Tools for Thinking and Reasoning about Probability
- Overview of Workshops
- Let's Do Math!
- Spinners, an activity from Week 3 in the probability focused workshop
- Spinners rubric
- Participants' Engagement
- Spinner's tPoW discussions
- Where are my students?
- Developing students' conceptual knowledge of probability
- Might online tools help?
- Math Tools
- Overview and registration (free)
- Navigating Math Tools
- Browse, rate, review, discuss and using My MathTools
- Scheduled Upcoming Workshops
- Technology Tools for Thinking and Reasoning about Probability
Workshop 2: May 12 - June 23, 2008
Applications open April 7 - May 5
Workshop 3: June 30 - August 11, 2008
Applications open May 30 - June 23
- Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
Workshop 9: April 21 - May 31, 2008
Applications open now - April 14
Workshop 10: June 9 -July 19, 2008
Applications open May 9 - June 2
- Ongoing Research
- Discuss ongoing research and analysis being conducted by the Math Forum that seeks to identify program elements that engage teachers and those that lead to lasting impact.
- Making Effective Use of Math Forum Resources
- Grades 5-9: Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
- Grades 5-9: Technology Tools for Thinking and Reasoning about Probability
- Grades 3-5: Tools for Building Math Concepts
- Teaching Mathematics with Problems of the Week
- Online Master's in Mathematics Learning and Teaching
- Contact Information
- Suzanne and Jason