The Math Forum's Algebraic Reasoning Resources for Grades 3-8
PCTM, November 8, 2007
Session 84, 3:00 - 3:50, Jefferson Room
Suzanne Alejandre, the Math Forum @ Drexel
Jason Silverman, School of Education, Drexel University
- What is algebraic reasoning?
- from NCTM: Fundamental components of algebraic thinking
- Orienting Questions
- What are the various forms of algebraic reasoning?
- What helps students to develop these as much as they can?
- What are some of the key hurdles or difficult transitions for students to make?
- How can online tools help?
- Let's Do Math!
- Aligned Math Forum Resources
- Online Teacher Workshops [free]
- Grades 3-5
- Tools for Building Math Concepts
- This workshop sponsored by Microsoft Corporation introduces the use of computers to develop understanding in these areas through the exploration of patterns and analysis of data.
- Grades 5-9
- Using Technology and Problem Solving to Build Algebraic Reasoning
- Explore how technology can help students build algebraic reasoning as they model and solve contextualized problems using a variety of representations, including graphs, tables, equations, and words. Engaging, open-construct problems provide opportunities for students to explain their reasoning and processes.
- Register We will begin accepting applications on December 24 for our next workshop.
- Math Tools
- Overview and Registration (free)
- Navigating Math Tools
- Browse, Rate, Review, Discuss and using My MathTools
- Other Math Forum Resources
- Making Effective Use of Math Forum Resources
- Ask Dr. Math and Dr. Math books
- Teacher2Teacher (T2T®)
- Teacher Exchange
- Problems of the Week
- Contact Information
- Suzanne and Jason
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help