Developing Mathematical Practices
PCTM, November 10, 2011, 8:00 am - 8:50 am
Suzanne Alejandre, the Math Forum @ Drexel
Resources (free) from the Math Forum @ Drexel to help your students make sense of problems, persevere in solving them and improve their math communication skills.
- The Math Forum's Problem Solving Process
- The goal is not to be over and done. It is to think, express, reflect, and revise.
- CCSS Mathematical Practices
- 1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- 3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Scoring Rubric
- Good problem solving and strong mathematical communication are both important aspects of a solution. Solutions should include enough information to help another student understand the steps and the decisions that were made in solving the problem.
- Primary || Math Fundamentals || Pre-Algebra || Algebra || Geometry
- What is a tPoW?
- Technology Problems of the Week (tPoWs) are problem-solving challenges modeled on the Math Forum's Problems of the Week that take advantage of interactive mathematics tools such as Java applets, Geometer's Sketchpad, Fathom, or spreadsheets.
- Let's look at one: Balloon Booths
- View the full: List of tPoWs
- What is a Financial Education PoW?
- Financial Education Problems of the Week are Math Forum Problems of the Week that have been selected because they are based on math situations that are set in a financial context. Free access to these problems is made possible by a generous grant from the FINRA Investor Education Foundation.
- Let's look at one: The Cost of Chocolate
- View the problems by: Math Topic
- Supporting Students' Development of the Mathematical Practices
- Teacher's Access: login from homepage
- Print || Assign || My PoW Work as a Teacher
- Student's Access: login from homepage
- Think || Express || Reflect || Revise
- How to Get Started
- Create your free Financial Education Problems Access.
- After creating your account you will receive an email with the subject line "Math Forum Email Verification" to confirm that you created the account.
- You will also receive an email with the subject line "Math Forum Order Confirmation." Using the URL in that message will allow you to fully set up your free account including up to 5 classes and 180 student logins.
- Note: Use your Financial Education PoW login to also access tPoWs and/or KenKen. Please realize that you will not have free access to the full Problems of the Week service. Financial Education PoWs are a subset of the full service.
- Other Math Forum Resources
- Problem Solving-It Has to Begin with Noticing and Wondering [PDF]
- Think You Don't Have Time to Use the PoWs? [PDF]
- How to Start Problem Solving in Your Classroom [PDF]
- Making Effective Use of Math Forum Resources [HTML]
- Free Online Resources [PDF]
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.