July 25 - August 11, 2000 - Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
2000 Summer Institute || Agenda || List of Participants
FAQ's from Various Workshops
- What does URL mean?
uniform resource locator.
An example of an URL is http://mathforum.org. Another name for this is someone's web address.
- What does HTML mean?
HyperText Markup Language
It's the programming language for the World Wide Web.
- What does ftp mean?
file transfer protocol
Ftp is how you send your web pages from your computer to the server. A handy
program to help you do that is called Fetch which you can download from the Math Forum - Software Used in Workshops page.
- What's the difference between http and html?
Hyper Text Transfer Protocol or http is a method for us to see web pages (with words and pictures) when we use a web browser like Netscape or Microsoft Explorer. HyperText Markup Language or html is the programming language that we use to write web pages.
- How do you change the size of the font in HTML?
There are two ways.
<h1> . . . </h1> (largest) to <h6> . . . </h6> (smallest)
<font size = +1> . . . </font>
- How do you make spaces between the lines?
To make just a line break use the <br> tag.
To make a paragraph break use the <p> tag.
To make more spaces between lines use the <pre> . . . </pre> tag.
- How do you indent lines?
You can add one space at a time by using &nbsp;
To make an unordered list use the <ul> . . . </ul> tag.
To make an ordered list use the <ol> . . . </ol> tag.
To make a block of text use the <blockquote> . . . </blockquote> tag.
- How to you create styles in fonts?
- Use the <b> . . . </b> tags to make something bold.
- Use the <i> . . . </i> tags to make something italic.
- Use the <u> . . . </u> tags to make something underlined.
- Use the <sup> . . .< /sup> tags to make something in superscript.
- Use the <sub> . . . </sub> tags to make something in subscript.
- How can you print a Netscape page and have the URL print out on the page, too?
- In Netscape go to File and select Page Setup.
- Decide if you wish to have the URL print out at the top of the page (header) or the bottom of the page (footer).
- Go to the one you have selected and change the selection from NONE to LOCATION. See the example.
- How do you make a gif?
- Using any paint/draw program create a graphic.
See Claris Works Tips for ideas on using the painting tools in Claris Works.
Take a photo using a digital camera.
Scan a photo/student artwork and save it as a pict file.
- Open the graphic in whatever program you have saved it or created it in, select it and copy it to the clipboard.
[That just means to select it with an editing tool, go to EDIT and COPY.]
- Open the program called Clip2Gif.
You can easily download it from the Math Forum - Software Used in Workshops page.
- Once Clip2Gif is open,
[This can be deceiving because the only change that you will notice is that the menu bar will look different.]
go to OPTIONS and there are several settings that you can use to resize the graphic and select the format for saving the graphic. See example 1.
- Go to FILE and select OPEN CLIPBOARD.
- Go to FILE and select SAVE CLIPBOARD AS.
- Name your file.
Photos should be saved using the JPEG format. (file name example = photo.jpg)
Graphics should be saved using the GIF format. (file name example = design.gif)
- Can you make your own backgrounds?
Sure, just make a gif file and then use <body background="your.background.gif">
- How do you link to another page?
An example is if you have made two pages. They are named
You want to link from your Lesson to your Activity.
Use this language:
<a href="activity.html">Go to Activity Page</a>
You want to link from your Lesson to another site on the Web.
Use this language:
<a href="http://mathforum.org">Go to the Math Forum</a>
- How do you link so that your email address is available?
Use this language.
Remember to insert your email address and your name.
<a href="http://mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">Suzanne Alejandre</a>
- How do you have the graphic or image show with the text?
Use this language.
Remember to insert the name of your graphic.
- How do you ftp?
Fetch is a great utility program to use. You can download it from the Math Forum - Software Used in Workshops page.
Open Fetch and you will see a screen like this
Type the information like this. Also type in the password that you have been given.
Push RETURN or ENTER and you will see a screen like this
Locate your directory and open it.
Go to Put File.
You will see a window on your computer - locate your file, select it and send it.
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.