To see these sketches, you'll have to Configure Netscape to use GSP as a helper application.
This Sketchpad activity was intended to exactly duplicate the great experience that Mike provides to his classes. While it lacks the important physical presence of the golf club, ball, and course, it's a pretty good subsitute, and much easier to set up!
The idea is to let the students perform all the necessary geometric investigations in the fully dynamic world of The Geometer's Sketchpad. Once they feel they've proven (by construction) how to hit a hole-in-one, they can run an accompanying Sketchpad script in order to confirm that the ball will actually go in the hole.
- Mathematical Golf Activity
- Open this sketch first. Once it opens, come back to your browser and load the script below.
- Math Golf Script
- You'll need this script to use the sketch above.
- Hole in One Sketch
- Open this first.
- Hole in One Script
- Then open this script. Running this script step by step will serve as an answer key to the first activity.
- Now, follow the instructions at the top of the sketch.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help