- Choose multi-purpose software - to allow investigation of a variety of topics in grade nine and beyond. Programs such as Geometer's Sketchpad and most spreadsheets are flexible enough to use throughout high school and beyond.
- Have students work in pairs - to cut down on the demands on your time, and give students someone with whom to "talk math."
- Prepare lab sheets - to save your sanity! They should outline the assignment clearly and include basic computer procedures.
- Allow at least 3 classes in the lab so students have time to become familiar with the program and to complete the assignment. (After school time may also be needed.)
- Assign homework! This could be connected with the unit - but do not expect students to carry over skills unless they have been explicitly taught. It's often better to assign a project or to have them work on improving basic skills.
[Spreadsheet Problem Collection]
[Ask Dr. Math]