GEONET Professional Development
June 22-24, 1999
The Math Forum: Mathematics Education
on the Internet
GEONET Professional Development || Sample Student Syllabus || Math Forum Workshops
We have three ambitious goals planned for our session today. They are:
- to give you an overview of The Math Forum;
- to present a sample of the activities we have used with teachers; and
- to discuss ways you can take advantage of the Math Forum's services.
- The Math Forum - http://mathforum.org/An online community of teachers, students, researchers, parents, educators, and citizens at all levels who have an interest in math and math education.
- Ask Dr. Math - http://mathforum.org/dr.math/The Math Forum's question and answer service for K-12 math students and their teachers. A searchable archive is available by level and topic, together with a FAQ.
- Problem of the Week - http://mathforum.org/pow/A project designed to challenge students with non-routine problems and to encourage them to verbalize their solutions.
- Elementary Problem of the Week
- Middle School Problem of the Week
- Algebra Problem of the Week
- Geometry Problem of the Week
- Trig & Calculus Problem of the Week
- Student Showcase - http://mathforum.org/students/showcase/Samples of web pages written by students, mostly as school projects.
- Teacher2Teacher - http://mathforum.org/t2t/Do you have a question about teaching mathematics? Are you wondering about the ways your children are learning math? Teacher2Teacher is here to help. Our panel of teaching professionals, Presidential Awardees for Excellence in Mathematics Teaching, is available to answer your questions. Topics can range from classroom teaching techniques to finding good Internet resources for professional development.
- Discussion Groups - http://mathforum.org/discussions/The Math Forum's epigone discussion archives include mathematics and math education-related newsgroups, mailing lists, and Web-based discussions.
- Math Resources by Subject - http://mathforum.org/math.topics.htmlRecommended resources by subject for K-12 students (Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Discrete Math); College students (Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Discrete Math, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Modern Algebra, Analysis); and Advanced level (Modern Algebra, Analysis, Discrete Math, Geometry, Numerical Analysis, Differential Equations, Game Theory & Programming).
- Math Forum Internet News - http://mathforum.org/electronic.newsletter/An electronic newsletter sent out via e-mail once a week to those who subscribe, archived on the Web and as a Web discussion. It offers site tips (what we have at the Math Forum and how to find it), notes about new math onsite or on the Internet, questions and answers from the Math Forum's interactive math projects (Ask Dr. Math, Problems of the Week), suggestions for K-12 teachers and students, and pointers to key issues in mathematics and math education.
- Forum Web Units and Lessons - http://mathforum.org/web.units.htmlThe Math Forum is committed to being a resource built upon the activity of the teachers, students, and researchers who use it.
- Internet Math Library - http://mathforum.org/library/The Math Forum's Internet Mathematics Library is an annotated catalog of mathematics and mathematics education web sites.
Annie Fetter email@example.com
Roya Salehi firstname.lastname@example.org
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help