The overarching goal of the workshop is to enable you to plan the enrichment courses AlgNet and GeoNet 2000. We hope that this collaboration leads to the development of a sequence of enrichment courses that cultivates the students' enjoyment of mathematics.
Through the activities in this workshop, we expect all participants to:
- develop an understanding of the use of the Geometer's Sketchpad to illustrate geometric and algebraic relationships;
- learn how to locate relevant on-line resources;
- developing cogent connections among a variety of educational experiences;
- work collectively specifically to develop this summer's enrichment courses.
In addition, we expect participants in GeoNet to:
- learn strategies for exploring new software;
- understand the essential characteristics and types of two dimensional repetitive patterns;
- undrerstand the relationship between two dimensional nets and three dimensional polyherdra;
- relate mathematical understandings to real world objects and phenomena.
We also expect participants in AlgNet to:
- use graphing calculators and CBRs to explore mathematical relationships;
- use a variety of game formats to explore mathematics;
- understand the basic concepts governing probability.