We're going to learn to make some web pages containing the data and the graphs that we've done with the diving data. You should have your ClarisWorks spreadsheet still open (if you don't, go find it and open it). The instructions here are specific for the Swarthmore lab machines, but the same ideas will work on your computer.
Open Claris Homepage
- Go to the hard drive and open the "Applications" folder.
- Open the "Homepage" folder in the bottom righthand corner of that window.
- Open the application "Homepage".
- Open a new document.
Copy Your Graph from ClarisWorks
- Go to ClarisWorks (either using the Application menu, or by clicking on your spreadsheet if you can see it).
- Single click on your graph to select it.
- Choose "Copy" from the Edit menu.
Paste Your Graph in Homepage
- Go back to Homepage (click in the window, or choose it from the Applications menu).
- Choose "Paste" from the Edit menu.
- When it asks you for a name, save your graph as lastname.gif in your user folder (I would save mine as fetter.gif).
Save Your Document
Now you've got a page. This, believe it or not, is a web page, and will be a "real" web page after we put it on the Forum server (more on that later!).
- Choose "Save" from the File menu.
- Save it in the User Folder as lastname.html (i.e. fetter.html). When it asks you for the "title" of your page, name it "Lastname's Diving Data" or whatever you would like. This is not the same as the file name.
Go back through the above steps to paste your data into the page as well. Select the data the same way you did to make the graph. It will appear as a table, not a graphic, so you won't have to name it.
Now let's add some text to our page and spiff it up a bit.
Add a BIG Header
- Click in front of the first graphic.
- Hit return a couple of times
- Type a witty header at the top of the page.
- Use the formatting tools at the top of the page to center it and make it big.
Add Some Other Text
- Click wherever you want text and type!
- That's it. You can format it all you want, but we're not going to go into great detail.
Now we're going to save our file (with its graphic) to the Forum server so that all the world can see it (or at anyone we tell about it).
Save Your File
You can go look at your page - the address is http://mathforum.org/workshops/usi/philly/diving/lastname.html - take a look and check it out!
- Save your file to the hard drive by choosing "Save" from the File menu.
- From the File menu, choose "Remote...Remote Save".
- The server name is mathforum.org
- The username is webshop
- The password is jan98
- The directory is ~http/documents/workshops/usi/philly/diving/ - make sure the "Upload Images" box is checked!
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help