The email program being used for this institute is Eudora Lite. We have chosen this program because:
- it is easy to use;
- it requires relatively little memory;
- it is available for download directly from the Math Forum page of Software used in workshops;
- it's free.
Getting started(But first, have you set your preferences yet? If not, do it now: see below.)
- Double-click on Eudora Settings (find the icon in the Eudora folder).
- To get new mail: Go to the File menu and select Check Mail.
- To write a new message: Go to the Message menu and select New Message.
- To reply to a message you are reading: Go to the Message menu and select Reply. Click in the message section where you want to add your reply, (usually at the top). Delete any sections of the original that you don't need to keep for context.
- To delete a message: Select the message, go to the Message menu, and select Delete - or highlight the message and press the Delete key.
- To send a message: Go to the top right of the composition window and click on the Send button.
- To see the In mailbox (with the mail you've already received): Go to the Mailbox menu and select In.
- To save a message as a text file for a word processor: Go to the File menu and select Save As.
- To change your password (if your provider will allow it): Go to the Special menu. Select Change Password. Type in your existing password. Now you'll be asked to enter your new password twice; the second time is a test to see that you can remember it at least five seconds. It must be at least six characters long, must not be a word found in the dictionary, and must contain either a change of case or a mix of letters and numbers.
- To quit: Go to the File menu and select Quit.
Sending email to our groupSpecial email groups have been established to make sending mail to the group easy.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - to participants in this institute
- email@example.com - to participants from all Math Forum Workshops.
After the basics
- The In box is broken into columns, the width of which can be adjusted by moving the cursor over the dividing line and dragging to the desired width.
- Messages are automatically sorted by date, but can also be sorted by subject or by sender: choose Sort by ... under the Edit menu.
- It will be very helpful to others if you include a subject line related to the message.
Setting your preferences:
- Go to the Special Menu and select Settings.
- Type your email address into the Pop Account field. You must use the exact address you were given.
- Type your real name in the Real Name field as you would like it to appear in your messages. You may use capital letters if you wish.
- In the Hosts section, the SMTP server for the Forum is mathforum.org
- The Ph server is cc.swarthmore.edu
When you are using a different server (from home or school), you will need to adjust this information accordingly. You should ask your system administrator for the correct information.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help