A conversation about the uses of the Internet. Why would you bother? Why write a web page? What are the pros? What are the cons?
Reasons we use the InternetThe Internet can give you:
- ideas for instruction
- a broader pool of colleagues
- international connections
- cultural exchanges
- motivation from contact
- help in solving problems
- dialogue among professionals or students
- enhanced/speedier research capabilities
- access to the experience and opinions of others
- resources for special needs/continuing education
- mentoring for students or teachers
- communication, writing skills, examples of writing math
Reasons to construct Web pagesYour own Web pages can provide:
- a focused environment
- focused support
- an easy way to change or add information
- a focal point where others gather
- a way of presenting student work
- a focal point for penpals
- a way to publish products, motivation, audience assessments
Internet contributionsThe Internet is:
- a way of making easy connections across world
- interactive at distance
- a medium that offers multiple kinds of information
What's scary?What problems do we see?
- it's addictive (do we need a 12-step program?)
- it can be isolating
- its accuracy/value are not assured
- it raises issues around student supervision
- there are issues around cheating
- it's hard to find resources
- on the Net we don't really know who someone is
Things to be exploredWhat are good ways of using
- one computer in a classroom?
- several computers in the same classroom?
- a computer lab?
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help