Problems of the Week
Note: You will need a subscription
to view most of these problems. Free
trial accounts are available.
The Math Forum's Problems
of the Week (PoWs) provide creative, non-routine challenges for
students in grades three through high school geometry and algebra.
Problem solving and mathematical communication are key elements of
every problem. PoWs can enrich your regular math curriculum as well
as help you meet the needs of your most capable math students.
Four Services currently available:
- Math Fundamentals (FunPoW) — grades 3 to 5
- Prealgebra (Prevail) — middle grades
- Algebra (AlgPoW) — algebra I
- Geometry (GeoPoW) — high school geometry
- We post 20 problems each year in each service. A link to the
year’s calendar is available from each problem page.
- Problems are available for preview Thursday before going live.
- Problems go “live” Monday morning.
- Problems are open for first submissions for two weeks.
- Submissions may be revised through the following Thursday midnight
– highly recommended!
- Sample solutions with commentary appear Friday morning.
- Early in following week Gold and Silver lists appear with more
Students may work alone or with a partner or team.
Teacher Support Pages and Discussion Groups support
teachers and mentors.
To the extent possible submissions are scored, based
on a rubric, and given feedback with suggestions for improvement.
Our research demonstrates the value of revision!
Occasionally preservice teachers provide mentoring as
they learn how to develop children’s problem solving skills
(indicated by * next to the problem in calendar). Mentors may also
include Math Forum staff and trained volunteers.
Guaranteed mentoring by Math Forum staff is available
on a fee basis.
The Math Forum FunPoW Scoring Rubric
in kid-friendly language: