the Sidewalk Ends
and the Technology Begins
The Math Forum
Why integrate curriculum?
- It engages kids.
- It’s how the real world works. Life does not present
situations in tidy single-discipline contexts.
- There are not enough hours in the day to do it any other
Why integrate math and children's literature?
- Good stories or poems capture a child's imagination, spark curiosity,
and draw children into a topic. They make the content relevant to
children and builds positive attitude.
- Literature provides a meaningful context in which students can construct
understanding of mathematical ideas.
- Trade books are far more engaging than text books.
- Artistic quality adds appeal, especially for visually talented students.
- Literary quality encourages communication.
- Development of reading comprehension skills serve, and is served
by, learning goals in all curriculum areas.
- Biographies help to humanize the content, give it context, connect
it with other subjects.
© 1994-2006 The Math Forum