Problems of the Week
The Math Forum's Problems
of the Week (PoWs) provide creative, non-routine challenges
for students in grades three through high school geometry
and algebra. Problem solving and mathematical communication
are key elements of every problem. PoWs can enrich your regular
math curriculum as well as help you meet the needs of your
most capable math students.
Why use Problems of the Week?
Four Services currently available:
- Math Fundamentals (FunPoW) — grades 3 to 6
- Prealgebra (PreAlgPoW) — middle grades
- Algebra (AlgPoW) — algebra I
- Geometry (GeoPoW) — high school geometry
- We post 20 problems each year in each service. A link
to the year’s calendar is available from each problem
- Problems are available for preview Thursday before going
- Problems go “live” Monday morning.
- Problems are open for first submissions for two weeks.
- Submissions may be revised through the following Thursday
midnight – highly recommended!
- Sample solutions with commentary appear Friday morning.
- Early in following week Gold and Silver lists appear
with more solutions.
Students may work alone or with a partner or
Sign up for a free 21-day
Support Pages and Discussion Groups support teachers and
To the extent possible submissions are scored,
based on a rubric, and given feedback with suggestions for
improvement. Our research demonstrates the value of revision!
Occasionally preservice teachers provide mentoring
as they learn how to develop children’s problem solving
skills (indicated by * next to the problem in calendar). Mentors
may also include Math Forum staff and trained volunteers.
Guaranteed mentoring by Math Forum staff is
available on a fee basis.
The Math Forum FunPoW Scoring Rubric
in kid-friendly language: