8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
How are fourth and fifth grade teachers helping their students look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning?
How can students be helped to:
- notice if calculations are repeated
- look both for general methods and for shortcuts
- maintain oversight of the process, while attending to the details
- evaluate the reasonableness of their intermediate results
What are you doing to help students develop this practice? What makes it hard? What challenges are you encountering?