5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
How are kindergarten and first grade teachers helping their students use appropriate tools strategically?
How can students be helped to:
- consider the available tools when solving a mathematical problem
- use pencil and paper, concrete models, a ruler
- identify relevant external mathematical resources
- use technological tools to explore and deepen their understanding of concepts
What are you doing to help students develop this practice? What makes it hard? What challenges are you encountering?