BACK TO CONTENTS

by Sonya Del Tredici

April, 1998

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 21:04:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sonya Del Tredici  sonya@mathforum.org
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Dr. Math in April

Hello Math Doctors!  I hope you all had a nice April.  I know that
this is a crazy time of year (especially for those of you who work in or
with schools), and I am very pleased at the amount of time you gave to
Doctor Math this month.

Here are our stats for April:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Questions asked: 3600
Questions answered: 1265
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The "I quit my day job and became a full time Math Doctor" awards this
month go to Doctors Wilkinson, Wolf, Rob, Melissa, Jen, Jerry, Hauke,
Derrel, Anthony, and Barrus.  You 10 answered 930 of our questions
this month!  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sarah Seastone, our Master Archivist, worked overtime in April.  She wrote
us a new FAQ on impossible constructions:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.impossible.construct.html

as well as putting over 100 new answers in the archives.  Some you whose
answers were newly added are Doctors Trone, Allan, Jaffee, Martin, Guy,
Jennifer, Rob, Gary, and Wilkinson.  Thank you all.

We got nine new Math Doctors this month: Michele, Park, Gail, Finuzza,
Niko, Anoop, Derrel, Lester, and Jeremy, bringing our total number of
doctors up to 228.  Welcome aboard!

The only other technical changes we made this month were the two new
canned responses.  Check these out if you haven't already.

I think that's about it for this month's exciting Doctor Math gossip.  We
are currently recruiting, so if you have any friends or loved ones who
would like to volunteer some of their time to Doctor Math, send them our
way.  The application is at:

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/office_help/

To end this message, I thought I'd forward some of the feedback Doctor
Math has gotten in April from adults, who are both the parents of
students and students themselves.

=-=-=-=-=-=
I know, I know, I'm kind of old for this, but I'm studying for the GMATs
and just wanted to let you know how helpful this site has been. It's
really useful in terms of refreshing my memory on technical definitions
and mathematical relationships.

Thanks for maintaining a great online service.
Latisha Azweem

=-=-=-=-=-=
Dear Dr. Math,

This is not a question but a comment.  I have been struggling with my
daughter who is in the 4th grade.  She can do division in her head but
struggles with the long division and putting it down on paper.  Thanks to
a teacher online, she found your link and now with the graphics and
simple instructions I have found I do believe my daughter will be fine.
Much appreciate you efforts to simplify the process so that children can
continue learning.  I am very grateful to you, and will continue using
this wonderful site in the future.

Respectfully,
Eve2158 (Concerned Parent)

=-=-=-=-=-=
Thanks for developing a great resource page.  I was able to help my son
with problems about parabolas.  I knew there was a formula, but the old
age got to me .... Thanks for the help!

MrsReed7A@aol.com

Have a lovely May everybody.

Sincerely,