BACK TO CONTENTS

by Stacey Bearden

January, 1999

Date: Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:36:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Stacey Bearden  stacey@mathforum.org
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Dr. Math in January

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Ask Dr. Math Newsletter
January, 1999
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Salutations, Math Doctors!  I hope you are having a pleasant beginning
of February.  A big welcome to our new January docs:

Drs. Bonnie, Cavallari, Erin, Mack, Swiss, Micah, Gregory, and Jon.

Now, on to the stats for this month:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
5856 -- incoming questions
2032 -- answered questions
34.7% -- percent answered
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And a bit of news, direct from Dr. Sarah, our master archivist:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
New Dr. Math FAQs: Formulas
   Robert L. "Dr. Rob" Ward has created two new units, Analytic Geometry
Formulas and Trigonometry Formulas, to accompany his Geometric Formulas
FAQ.

Constructing Regular Polygons: John Conway
   Posts to geometry discussion groups by Prof. John Conway of the
Dept. of Mathematics, Princeton University, have been added to Robert L.
"Dr. Rob" Ward's page on Regular Polygon Formulas in the Dr. Math FAQ.

New Dr. Math FAQ: Proofs
   What is a proof? How do you write a two-column proof? Students often
ask about proofs: what they are, how to understand them, and, often, how
to write two-column proofs. This FAQ offers some answers from our archives.

More than 90 new question-&-answer entries were added to the archives
during January 1999.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

And some thank you notes to us all:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

You guys are awesome. I have never seen anything like this, and you
guys go into details too! You guys are such nice people, and such
contribution to the mathematical community. If people do more stuff
like you all do, then the world would be a better place. I know this
sounds corny but I really really enjoyed reading every single word you
guys put on. It take some patience to teach a student but you guys
are doing a great job.

After reading your directions for subtracting mixed numbers I have
learned how to do these problems and now everyone asks me where
I learned math so quickly. I just tell them Dr. Math helped!

Let me just say your site is great. I have used it to help me
remember formulas and yes even basic math I have not used in some
time. Keep up the great work.  Thanks - Ron

I just thought I'd write to thank you for your service. I'm a special
education instructional aide at an elementary school who also tutors
Math at the high school level. I have been impressed with the
promptness and accuracy of responses from Dr. Math.

Well, that's it for this month, kids. Keep up the awesome work, and
Happy Valentine's Day!

Dr. Stacey
Doctor Math Administrator
The Math Forum