BACK TO CONTENTS

by Sonya Del Tredici

July, 1998

Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 14:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sonya Del Tredici <sonya@mathforum.org>
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Dr. Math in July

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Ask Dr. Math
 News in July
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Brought to you by The Math Forum, a proud sponsor of the Ask Doctor Math
1998 Word Tour, who reminds you to integrate and derive responsibly.

STATS:
Total questions:  2230
Total answered:   1230
Percent answered:  55%

Hello everyone. I hope you all have had a nice lazy month. As some
of you may have noticed, (especially those of you waiting for the
administrators to get to your answers in the Holding Tank) July has
been rather slow for us.  The students have been on vacation and the
administrators all went to the beach, where we promptly got sand in
our laptops and couldn't even check our e-mail.

The most recent administrator gossip is that our own Naomi (Dr. Naomi)
Michlin has joined the private sector and is now doing public policy
research for Abt Associates in Cambridge, Mass. This has prevented her
from getting the sand out of her computer, but she claims that she'll
be back on-line any day now to post those ever-helpful memos in the
Holding Tank.

This month's golden equation awards for work above and beyond the call
of duty go out to Doctors Anthony, Erra, Floor, Jaffee, Jerry, Margaret,
Mike, Pat, Peterson, Rick, Rob, Schwa, and Wilkinson. Thank you, thank
you, thank you!

Despite the slowness, we did manage to sign on six new volunteers,
Doctors Jose, Jenn, Rick, Andrew, Jas, and Teeple.  Welcome to you all!

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Lots of behind-the-scenes work has been going on at the Math Forum this
summer.  Some of you may have heard allusions to the new Dr. Math
software, and it is no longer just a rumor! We have had several people
working feverishly on it all summer, and they tell me that it will be
up and running soon.  :-)  Since we are rewriting all of the software,
this is the best time for suggestions for improvements. I've discussed
several interesting ideas with some of you over the year, including a
foreign language option, making it easier to include graphics, and
sending new doctors an automatic e-mail when their answers in the Holding
Tank have been reviewed. If you have more great suggestions (or even if
you don't), the place to go is our survey, at:

  http://mathforum.org/survey/may98/math_docs

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

As for FAQ/Archives news, a new Math Forum staff member, Betsy Teeple,
has been doing a lot of work with Elizabeth Li reading over your answers
and choosing ones for the archives. Then they are passing the answers to
our newest Master Archivist, Richard Tchen (some of you may already know
him as our Webmaster).

Sarah Seastone and Dr. Rob are also working hard on a new FAQ that we
desperately need, with the formulas for the most common planar and solid
geometric figures. It's still unfinished, but it really is a work of art,
and so keep your eyes and ears out for its completion.

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Finally, here is my favorite thank-you note excerpt from this month.
That warm glow you feel is not radiation from your computers but rather
the knowledge of a job well done.

"Many thanks for your great circle explanations. That bright light you
saw in the east today was not the sun but the light bulb above my head
that just turned on! Perhaps you noticed the unusual luminescence."

8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8

Have a great August, everyone. Remember to use plenty of sunscreen.

Sonya Del Tredici
The Math Forum
BACK TO CONTENTS