BACK TO CONTENTS

by Stacey Bearden

September, 1998

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:33:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Stacey Bearden  stacey@mathforum.org
To: All Dr. Math Doctors
Subject: Dr. Math in September

)()()()()()()()()()()()
Ask Dr. Math Newsletter
September, 1998
)()()()()()()()()()()()

Greetings Math Doctors!  Well, it's a week into October, and I'm finally
getting this month's newsletter out; goes to show what a busy month this
has been. September marks the beginning of most school years, and we've
had our work cut out for us - check out the stats:

--------------------------
4478 -- incoming questions
2097 -- answered questions
 47% -- percent answered
--------------------------

Now, if you remember details, you may note that our percentage is down
somewhat, from 54%.  But don't despair, that's only because we received
so many more questions - an increase by 66%, or over 1700 questions more
than last month.  Numerically, we answered more than last month, by over
600.  Lookin' good, docs!

*************************************

News from our Archivists:

More than 100 new entries were made to the Dr. Math archives during
September, and we have two new FAQs:

False Proofs, Classic Fallacies
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.false.proof.html
What's wrong with proofs that say 1+1=1, or 2=1?

Number Bases
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.bases.html
What is base 10? Binary? Hexadecimal? How can you convert from one base
to another?

*************************************

This month has been a little slow, with summer vacations and the changing
of the guard (two new administrators, Tim (Dr. Timothy) Bretl and myself,
to replace Dr. Naomi and Dr. Sonya).  Therefore, we haven't been training
new math doctors.  But with the beginning of this school year, we will
fast begin to train new doctors to help out with the flood of questions
coming into triage.

*************************************

Great thank-you's this month:

For Dr. Floor -
I just want to thank you so much for the help you have given me!  It has
really helped me with the assignment my teacheer assigned...I think what
you do should be commended for...and I am commending you for it!

Thanks,
Dane

For Dr. Rob -
I just wanted to say thanks for your help,and for the speedy response.
Also, I want to tell you that since you responded so quickly that I didn't
fail my quiz.

Thanks
Tanya

For Dr. Jerry -
Thank you! thank you! not gonna be failing this course now! THANK
YOU!!!!!!!!!!! you ppl are great, and I really appreciate what you've
been able to help me out with and what you've been able to do for
others, this is a terrific service.

Thank you thank you,
Tony

Doctor Peterson,
Thank you very much for answering my question about grouping symbles, back
in August. I am in 7th grade. I take algebra, and so far I have an "A".
Your answer halped me get my "A".

Sincerely,
Ashley A. Allen

For Dr. Ken -
Thank you so much for your help!  You don't know how much I appreciate
it. The people that I asked for help from had no idea how to assist me
with this type of problem, and your hints made me understand completely.

Thanks again!
Kellie

******************************

REMINDER FOR DOCTORS!

Remember to use the Archives and the FAQ!  If you haven't looked at
either of them in a while, check them out.  There are a lot of new
entries.  Often we write lengthy responses to questions when the same
type of answer is just sitting there in the archives or FAQ, waiting
to be used.  Using them as much as possible leaves more time for more
response, it never hurts to point a student to the archives for more
information.  It's usually best to give a URL to get them started.

Also, if you write a response that you think is particularly good,
please email me about it!  Let me know the problem number, and I can
check it out.  Our archiving process isn't perfect, and I'm sure good

Well, that's it for this month's issue.  Keep up the great work, and
have a good October!

Stacey (Dr. Stacey) Bearden
Doctor Math Administrator
The Math Forum