Tools for Building Math Concepts
Explore how technology can help students develop fundamental
concepts of multiplication, fractions, division and area
through the process of generating data and examining patterns
in this online workshop from the Math Forum @ Drexel.
Drawing on the benefits of software tools and the strength of
human pattern recognition, we will explore ways to address
misconceptions and related difficulties that students often
run into (e.g. multiplication makes bigger, division makes
smaller, comparing unlike terms, confusing area and perimeter).
- Use online collaborative learning tools and the extensive
resources and experience of the Math Forum community.
- Experience the flexibility of anytime, anywhere online
- Become accustomed to an online professional development
- Earn 1.5 Continuing Education credits (fifteen contact
hours) from Drexel University.
- The workshop fee of $50 includes a $25 discount applicable
to any of our online PD courses.
Workshops will be offered:
- May 21 - July 2
- July 9 - August 20
Seasonal Problems of the Week
Are you looking for a problem solving prompt to use with your
students that has a seasonal theme?
- 2836: Two By Canoe
- 3004: Time Trial Triumphs
- 3316: Johnny's Orchards
- 2740: Jimmy's Hits
- 3412: Poolish Pride
- 4047: Finding Fireworks
- 4599: Beach Boys
- 459: Drawing a Kite Plan
- 3411: Measuring the Matterhorn
- 1299: Olympic Softball
- 3159: The Water in My Pool
- 3523: Greta's Garden
- 901: Hot Dog Day!
- 769: Lawn-Mowing Chore
- 626: Luscious Lemonade
- 3068: Sizing Up Sequoias
- 1262: The Graduating Class
- 4519: Baseball Cards
- 3715: Sundaes
- 3443: A Day at Camp
- 4571: Ants on a Bun
- 3527: A Summer Garden
- 3251: Batter Up!
- 4955: Counting Shells
If you have a PoW membership that includes access to our
Problems Library, view these problems by entering their
three- or four-digit numbers to the left of the "Go"
If you have an individual teacher membership that you
purchased online, we'd gladly apply your $25 purchase toward
the cost of a class membership that would give you access to
these Library PoWs. Just call us toll-free during East Coast
business hours: (800)756-7823.
If you are not a member, consider signing up for a
During the trial period of twenty-one days, up to five
problems may be viewed by either the students or the teacher;
students may submit to any of those five problems; and
teachers may try out the corresponding Teacher Office to review
and respond to their students' work.
Graphing Technology Institutes
This summer, the Department of Mathematics at West Chester
University is offering seven institutes about graphing
handhelds. Participants may receive three graduate credits or
45 Pennsylvania Department of Education Act 48 hours for
attending an institute at the university's campus, in West
Institutes offered July 6th to July 10th:
- Algebra I using the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
- Algebra II through Calculus using the TI-Nspire CAS
- Statistics using the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
Institutes offered July 13th to July 17th:
- High School Mathematics with the TI-Navigator using the
TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
- Pre-Calculus using the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and the
- Connecting Geometry and Algebra using the TI-84 Plus
Silver Edition and the TI-Nspire
- Dealing with Data in High School Mathematics and Science
using the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and the TI-Nspire