Problems of the Week Presentations
Number of team members presenting: 2 students
Length of competition: 1 hour
Materials Needed for Competition at Drexel:
- USB drive with presentation (in .pdf format)
- note cards with notes for presentation
Materials Needed at School Prior to Competition:
- computer with internet access
- Problem of the Week provided by The Math Forum at Drexel
- slideshow or word processing software (Microsoft Word or PowerPoint, Apple Pages or Keynote, Google docs, OpenOffice)
Prior to visiting Drexel for the Philadelphia EMC in October, November, February, and March, all students should work together to generate solutions to Problems of the Week created by The Math Forum at Drexel.
On the day of the competition at Drexel, two students will orally present a written solution to one of the Problems of the Week. Other students from the eight-member team may "assist" in the presentation if there are models or demonstrations, but only the two students do the talking during the team's presentation.
For each eight member team, the two students orally presenting during the year rotate so that by the final event in March, each student on the team has had a turn.
In general, solutions should be generated by students, not teachers, family members, or mentors. Students should use the provided LCD projector to show a PDF document with their written solutions. Students should explain the problem solving the team used to create solutions to the problem. Students will have 4 minutes to speak in front of the audience and a panel of judges.
An online orientation to the Problems of the Week on the Math Forum website is available at http://mathforum.org/pd/pow_os.
Common Core: Standards for Mathematical Practice
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP2 Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP3 Construct viable arguments; critique reasoning of others.
- CCSS.Math.Practice.MP5 Use appropriate tools strategically.
Common Core: English Language Arts Standards