The Math Forum

Topic: Business Math?
Replies: 74   Last Post: May 6, 2017 4:32 PM

GS Chandy

From: Bangalore, India
Registered: 4/3/17
Re: Business Math?

Carleton Washburne posted May 3, 2017 1:47 PM:

> What does "preparation" mean as you are using it?
>
> Who is supposed to be prepared? Students? Teachers?
>
> Is there more than one way to be prepared, in
> whatever your meaning is here?
>
> Is there more than one valid way to
> assess/demonstrate preparedness?
>
> What do you mean by "see" in this "context"?
>
> Is it restricted to "getting visual sensory input"?
>
> Are you making that and the usual meaning one deduces
> when explaining or relating something to another
> person who says, "Oh, I see" mutually exclusive? The
> verb "to see" implies "to understand" in many
> contexts, Robert. You do see that, right?
>
> You equate "pedagogy" with "preparation." How very
> idiosyncratic of you! I doubt many professional
> educators would do the same. Not that they oppose
> preparing students: I've never heard of a teacher who
> would reject the preparation of his/her students as a
> goal. But what do YOU mean by that word?
>
> Technology isn't "pedagogy" any more than is a
> textbook, a piece of chalk, or countless other TOOLS.
> Any of them may be employed by a teacher in the
> service of his/her pedagogy. A thing is never
> pedagogy. And the same thing may be used in a wide
> range of pedagogical practices. Your narrow and to my
> mind flawed and inadequate definitions here account
> for your refusal and/or inability to see what Lou is
> talking about (and Kirby and others talk about), but
> that's YOUR issue, not theirs or others who don't
> have your definitions and restricted channels for
> thinking about teaching and learning gumming up the
> works.
>
> Message was edited by: Carleton Washburne

Certainly the questions do not betray incompentence on the part of the asker of the questions.

OTOH, they're not entirely competent and effective questions either.

Let's describe them as 'semi-competent'.

It remains to be seen what is done with the responses that RH gives to the questions.

I observe that Lou Talman has rather nicely responded to at least one of the responses provided by RH.

GSC

Date Subject Author
4/19/17
Read Business Math?