The Math Forum

Topic: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Replies: 23   Last Post: Aug 17, 2017 10:50 AM

kirby urner

Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects

New ways to be mathy. Note "teacher led movement". That's gonna raise hackles around here for sure.

From: Hadi Partovi (Code.org) <hadi_partovi@code.org>
Subject: Girls set Computer Science record... skyrocketing growth outpaces boys
Date: August 1, 2017 at 6:40:41 AM PDT

Hi there,

You may have seen our recent blog post about this, but the news is so good we want everybody to see it! I also want to share a brief update on the teacher-led movement for computer science in schools.

Did you hear about this?

In the last 5 months, 6 entire states announced plans or funding for computer science: Iowa, Nevada, Wisconsin, Washington, Idaho, and Utah. This incredible success is due to the local champions and our partners in the Code.org Advocacy Coalition.

In the last 6 weeks, 4 entire countries announced national plans for computer science: Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, and Romania, with almost $300M of funding behind the rollouts!

Meanwhile, Code.org course participation keeps growing -- 600,000 teachers and almost 20M students have accounts on Code.org -- more than 20% of all students in the U.S. We just launched our latest course, CS Discoveries, for grades 7-9, and this summer we're preparing almost 2,000 middle and high school teachers who will soon begin teaching computer science to 100,000 students a year.

"I am the luckiest teacher to get to share this with my students next year! Thank you Code.org!" - Says Maureen Ryan, a middle school teacher from Georgia.

Date Subject Author
7/24/17
Read Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Wayne Bishop
7/24/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/24/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/25/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/25/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/25/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/26/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/26/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/27/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/27/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/27/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/27/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/28/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/28/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Wayne Bishop
7/28/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/29/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/29/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/29/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Wayne Bishop
7/29/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
Robert Hansen
7/29/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
7/31/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
8/1/17
Read Re: Big Gains in resolving the Gap in STEM subjects
kirby urner
8/17/17