The Math Forum

Topic: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Replies: 46   Last Post: Sep 24, 2017 8:28 AM

Conway

Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 9:48:42 PM UTC-5, Dan Christensen wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:01:10 PM UTC-4, Conway wrote:
> > On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:03:00 PM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
> > > Conway brought next idea :

> > > Important for representations only, not for the number in mind.
> > > Mathematics is filled with abstractions, a 'number' can be expressed in
> > > many ways. You seem to want to imbue numbers with two attributes each
> > > and "do math" with them while avoiding a perceived problem with zero as
> > > it stands.
> > >
> > > To me, zero is not a problem and limits are just another representation
> > > of a number, not only a representation of (a method for) an
> > > approximation of a number.
> > >
> > > If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

> > Mmmh....I suppose I can agree with you here....actually I have talked to many Phd's in this matter.....they have said about as much.....I however do believe that it's broke....

> Yes, all those cars exploding, planes crashing and boats sinking because scientists and engineers simply don't understand that "0(as space) = 1 (as space)."
>

> Dan
>
> Download my DC Proof 2.0 software at http://www.dcproof.com
> Visit my Math Blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Dan...

There was a time we thought the world was flat....boats did not sink....cars did not explode(horse carriages)...lol.....but the knowledge still proved useful....case in point if division by zero is allowed the following "semantical" mathematical sentence make sense....

I have 1 dollar...I divide it by 0 dollars...I still have one dollar......not an undefined....among other benefits....

Date Subject Author
9/21/17
Read 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Markus Klyver
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FromTheRafters
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FromTheRafters
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/21/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Dan Christensen
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Dan Christensen
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Peter Percival
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/24/17
[...]
Bill
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
Conway
9/22/17
Read Re: 0 The Empty Number; its purpose is to set bases
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/22/17