The Math Forum

Topic: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3
= 0.333...

Replies: 31   Last Post: Oct 3, 2017 3:02 AM

FromTheRafters

Re: It is a very bad idea and nothing less than stupid to define 1/3 = 0.333...

netzweltler explained on 10/2/2017 :
> Am Sonntag, 1. Oktober 2017 17:45:39 UTC+2 schrieb FromTheRafters:
>> netzweltler formulated the question :

>>> Show how time is involved in our process.
>>
>> If you have to add a next number (like one quarter) to a previous
>> result of adding such previous numbers (like one plus one half) then
>> you have introduced time. Thee is a 'previous' calculation needed as
>> input to the next calculation. The idea that you 'never' get there (to
>> two) introduces time also. I'm with you, I don't think time has any
>> place in this.

>>> If you insist on introducing time to our process, try this:
>>
>> You misunderstand me. I'm not insisting that, in fact I insist the
>> opposite. I take the infinite sequence or series representation to be
>> just that, a represenation of a number -- not a process at all. This
>> avoids the idea that time is a constraint against a number being exact.
>>
>> When it come to application, then you may have to consider the
>> indicated process and get as close an approximation as you desire. The
>> representations 0.999... and the infinite series or the sequences
>> related to it, are all just different representations of the number
>> one, just as our current representation are all representations of the
>> number two. Time has nothing at all to do with it, hence there is no
>> 'almost, but not quite there' to worry about.

> Correct. Time is of no concern. So, let me modify the list:
>
> t = 0: write 0.9
> t = 0.9: append another 9
> t = 0.99: append another 9

> 1. write 0.9
> 2. append another 9
> 3. append another 9
>
> Do you still agree that this is a _complete_ list of all the actions needed
> to write 0.999... (already present - in no time)? It is a list of additions
> as well. All the additions it takes to sum up to 0.999... Again the question:
> If your claim is, that we reach point 1, you need to show which step on this
> list of infinitely many steps accomplishes that.

Why would I need to do that?

e raised to the pi times i equals -1 exactly without my needing to
explain what the ellipses means in the 3.1415... or 2.71828... decimal
representations. Those representations are of numbers not strictly
procedures for approximations of numbers.

Were they only meant to be procedures then I could substitute division
by zero with division by 'e to the pi times i plus one' and avoid ever
dividing by zero again since pi and e could *only* be approximated. You
see then that everything in calculus would be an approximation under
this scenario.

Of course, some people think that this is already the case.

Date Subject Author
= 0.333...
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
= 0.333...